- Best article I’ve read in a while:
- Atlantic Monthly on Happiness – if you’re short on attention span, watch the video first. It’s a good teaser into the longer article. Despite length, a worthwhile read.
- Daniel Goleman on Empathy: Who’s Got It, Who Does Not – covers the 3 varieties of empathy.
“Empathic concern means we not only understand how the person sees things and feels in the moment, but also want to help them if we sense the need. A study of empathic concern in seven-year-olds found that those who showed least concern when they saw their mother in distress were most likely to have a criminal record two decades later.”
- Business cards: Creativity and design in the business card space:
- Someday Syndrome on How Not to Follow Your Dreams
“What I need, more than anything else, is help to start thinking better thoughts. This is how we avoid our dreams most effectively. We start thinking about ‘just getting by’, about what we might be able to find out there rather than what we’ve got to offer.”
- Zen Habits on Thinks We Think About But Do Not Say
- Zen Habits on prioritizing: Three Ways to Get More Done With the Power of Less. I need to do this.
- For anyone who loves shopping and wants to get paid doing so. Ways to Survive Life on Mystery Shopping
- 8 Toxic Personalities to Avoid
- CNN on Crazy Turtle Woman. Good example of following your passions even when people think you’re odd.
“Locals mocked her efforts, calling her the “Turtle Police” or “Crazy Turtle Woman,” yet her dedication to the unpaid work was fierce; when it conflicted with her day job, she quit and found a new job.
“Suzan brought around the change,” he said. “They don’t kill the turtles anymore … because of the visitors.”
- NY Times on Financial Careers Come at a Cost to Families. Good read on the question of balance even if you aren’t in finance.
“Kids don’t want quality time. They want quantity time — big, stinking, lazy, nonproductive quantity time.” And research” on emotional and intellectual development suggests that kids are right to want what they do.
- Travel: SFGate on Becoming a Nomad
- Ask the Entrepreneurs on What Do You Do All Day?
- Travel Bookmarks
- CareTaker.org – site where you can housesit.
- Location Independent Blog: Live and Work Anywhere You Choose
Posted in Weekly Reader.
– June 2, 2009